The facility creates a landmark which provides the social focus for the campus and promotes South Staffordshire College’s agenda of environmental responsibility within an agricultural context.
The building form adopts a contemporary take on an agricultural vernacular and sits comfortably within the Green Belt land. A strict funding arrangement required the building to be BREEAM Excellent, and be open within 18 months, adding to the complexity.
- refurbishment of existing buildings
- teaching and social facility forming the key focus for the Rodbaston Campus
- students with disabilities and learning difficulties have been re-located into this facility to place them firmly at the heart of the College
- SFA bid funding with restricted programme
- BREEAM Excellent
- rural site in Green Belt
- enhanced landscape scheme that creates an outdoor learning environment and wildlife habitat
Fast track construction and a mixed mode building services strategy were the primary design drivers for the scheme, establishing these strategies from the outset meant economy and flexibility was built into the scheme. They enabled an adaptable layout and the integration of renewable technology to establish the infrastructure to create the key social and teaching spaces and an early watertight building.