Based in Nottinghamshire’s old courthouse and county gaol, the buildings are sited on Nottingham’s original Saxon settlement and were first used as courts in 1375 and prisons from 1449.
Therefore, due to the sensitive nature of a constrained city centre site and the existing historic buildings (Listed Grade II*), the maber project team also comprised an archaeologist, a historian and a specialist conservation architect. The completed project provides educational, gallery archive and administration accommodation to complement Nottingham City’s award winning Visitor Attraction, wholly located within the confines of the existing buildings, comprising historic courthouses, gaols, a police station and an extensive caves complex.
Gulbenkian Award for Galleries & British Museums
The Lord Mayor’s Award
Public Interiors Category – Winner